PA Lottery Offers Quick Facts on Tonight’s $425 Million Powerball Drawing
Middletown – Pennsylvania Lottery retailers are reporting very strong ticket sales for tonight’s $425 million Powerball drawing. The cash prize is worth $244.7 million.
A few Powerball facts of interest:
• Tickets remain on sale until 9:59 p.m. tonight. The drawing takes place at 10:59 p.m.
• Powerball and Powerball with Power Play tickets were selling at a rate of about 5,000 tickets per-minute as of noon today, statewide.
• Also as of noon today, the Pennsylvania Lottery had sold nearly $50 million in Powerball and Powerball with Power Play tickets since the current jackpot run began in late June. That translates into approximately $15 million in funding for benefits to older Pennsylvanians just from this jackpot run.
• Ticket sales have been rising all week. Powerball sales were approximately $957,000 on Sunday, $2.2 million on Monday and $3.7 million on Tuesday.
• The Pennsylvania Lottery has sold 17 jackpot-winning tickets since joining the multi-state game in 2002.
• The most recent jackpot-winning Powerball ticket sold in Pennsylvania was for the June 22 drawing, and was worth $131.5 million. A Delaware County woman claimed the $77.4 million cash prize on July 30.
• The odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are 1 in 175,223,510.
• If you hold the winning ticket, you should immediately sign the back of the ticket and put it in a safe place. Then, contact the Lottery at 717-702-8146 during business hours to arrange to bring the ticket to Lottery headquarters in Middletown, Dauphin County, for validation.
• It takes four to six weeks to process prize claim payments.
The Pennsylvania Lottery advises players to purchase their Powerball tickets early to avoid any last-minute rush and to always play responsibly.
How to play Powerball: Players pay $2 and select five white balls from the first set of 59 numbers plus a single red ball, the Powerball, from a second set of 35 numbers. Players may select their own numbers using a Powerball playslip, or they may opt for computer-selected quick picks. Players must match all five numbers drawn plus the Powerball number to win the jackpot. There also are eight additional ways for players to win a cash prize.
Powerball tickets are sold in 43 states, Washington, D.C. and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are held on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
About the Pennsylvania Lottery: The Pennsylvania Lottery remains the only state lottery that designates all its proceeds to programs that benefit older residents. Since its inception in 1971, the Pennsylvania Lottery has contributed nearly $23.7 billion to programs that include property tax and rent rebates; free transit and reduced-fare shared rides; the low-cost prescription drug programs PACE and PACENET; long-term living services; and the 52 Area Agencies on Aging, including full- and part-time senior centers throughout the state.
The Pennsylvania Lottery reminds its players to play responsibly. Players must be 18 or older.
For drawings results, winning numbers, winners’ stories and to subscribe to the Lottery’s RSS news feed, visit www.palottery.com. Also log in to Facebook and like us at www.facebook.com/palottery or follow us at www.twitter.com/palottery